John A Rowlands, PhD., FCCPM
- B.Sc. Special Studies Physics, First Class Honours, (1967), Leeds University, Leeds, UK
- Ph.D. Physics, (1971), Leeds University, Leeds, UK
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Physics, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
- Senior Scientist, Imaging Research, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (SHSC), Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Head of Medical Physics Research, Odette Cancer Centre, SHSC, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Professor, Radiation Oncology, Medical Biophysics and Medical Imaging, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Research Areas of Focus:
Throughout Dr. Rowlands’ research and professorial experience, medical imaging and physics have been a common thread. His most significant recent contribution to research/practice is a novel optical detector for Positron Emission Tomography (PET) based on avalanche multiplication in amorphous selenium. This is an outcome of his investigations of the fundamental x-ray imaging properties of amorphous selenium for application in digital radiography and fluoroscopy.
Other projects that Dr. Rowlands will guide at the Thunder Bay Regional Research Institute include a novel approach to incisionless surgery made possible by the guidance of high-intensity focused ultrasound with MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) as a means of treating cancerous tumours deep in the body using heat instead of conventional surgery.
Selected Publications can be viewed at Google Scholar