Alla Reznik, PhD
Canada Research Chair in Physics of Molecular Imaging
- Masters degree, Kiev State University, Radio-Physics Department, (1985), Kiev, Ukraine
- Post-Graduate Courses, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, (1991), Institute of Semiconductor Physics, Kiev, Ukraine
- Ph.D. degree, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Physics Department, (2000), Haifa, Israel
- Post-doctorate, University of Toronto, Department of Medical Biophysics, (2003), Toronto, Canada
Appointments and Affiliations:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Lakehead University; 2008-Present
- Research Associate; Imaging Research Group, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre; 2004-2008
- Senior Physicist; Physics Department, GE Medical Systems Functional Imaging, Israel; 2000-2003
- Researcher; Solid State Institute, Technion, Israel; 1995-1997
- Researcher; Department of Theoretical and General Physics, Kiev Polytechnic Institute, Ukraine; 1986-1994
Research Areas of Focus:
Dr. Reznik has been investigating the properties of wide band-gap semiconductors for more than 15 years. She is an expert in photoconducting materials for x-ray and gamma-ray detector application.
In the last five years Dr. Reznik has been actively collaborating with NHK Science & Technical Laboratories (Japan) on the development of the solid state technology for a new generation of Positron Emission Tomography (PET) imagers based on amorphous selenium avalanche photosensors.
The goal of this research is to improve sensitivity for cancer detection, enabling diagnosis in the early stages of cancer. As part of the Thunder Bay Regional Research Institute team Dr. Reznik will continue to work on the development of advanced radiation imaging detectors for a variety of biomedical applications, beginning with breast cancer.
- A. Reznik, B. J. M. Lui, J. A. Rowlands, “An Amorphous Selenium Based Positron Emission Mammography Camera with Avalanche Gain”, Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, 4 (2005) 61.
- W. Zhao, D. Li, A. Reznik, B.J.M. Lui, D.C. Hunt, Y. Ohkawa, K. Tanioka, J.A. Rowlands, “Indirect Flat-Panel Detector with Avalanche Gain: Fundamental Feasibility Investigation for SHARP-AMFPI (Scintillator HARP Active Matrix Flat Panel Imager), Med. Phys., 32 (9) (2005) 2954
- A. Reznik, B. J. M. Lui, V. Lyubin, M. Klebanov, K. Tanioka, M. Kubota, K. Miyakawa and Y. Ohkawa, J. A. Rowlands, “The effect of temperature on photo-induced metastability in avalanche a-Se layers”, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 352 (9-20) (2006) 1595.
- B.J.M. Lui, A. Reznik, D. Hunt, K. Tanioka, J.A. Rowlands, "X-ray imaging with amorphous selenium: Pulse height measurements of avalanche gain fluctuations" Medical Physics, 33 (2006) 3183.
- A. Reznik, S.D. Baranovskii, V. Lyubin, M. Klebanov, B.J.M. Lui, S.O. Kasap, O.Rubel, Y.Ohkawa, T. Matsubara, K. Miyakawa, M. Kubota, K. Tanioka, T. Kawai, and J. A. Rowlands, “Kinetics of the photostructural changes in a-Se films”, Journal of Applied Physics, 100 (2006), 113506.
- A. Ravi, C.B. Caldwell, B. Keller, A. Reznik, J.-P. Pignol, “Online Gamma-camera Imaging of 103-Pd Seeds (OGIPS) for Permanent Breast Seed Implantation”, Phys. Med. Biol 52 (2007) 5921–5932.
- D. P. McElroy, V. Saveliev, A. Reznik, J.A. Rowlands, "Evaluation of Silicon Photomultipliers: A Promising New Detec tor for MR compatible PET", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A 571 (2007) 106-109
- A. Reznik, S.D. Baranovskii, O.Rubel, G. Juska, S.O. Kasap, Y.Ohkawa, K. Tanioka, and J. A. Rowlands, “Avalanche Multiplication Phenomenon in Amorphous Semiconductors: a-Se vs a-Si:H.”, Journal of Applied Physics, 102 (2007) 053711
- A. Reznik, S.D. Baranovskii, O. Rubel, K. Jandieri and J. A. Rowlands, “Photoconductivity in amorphous selenium blocking structures, Phys.Stat.Sol. (c) 5(3) (2008) 790-795
- A. Reznik, S.D. Baranovskii, O. Rubel, K. Jandieri, S. Kasap, Y.Ohkawa, M. Kubota, K. Tanioka and J. A. Rowlands, “Avalanche multiplication in amorphous selenium and its utilization in imaging”, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 354 (2008) 2691-2696